As always, in full disclosure, I make a 6-figure income in affiliate marketing. What this means is when people click on my links and make a purchase, I am most often compensated or receive some sort of benefit.
Please Check out my webinar sponsor Listings To Leads. It’s real estate marketing platform that I use in my business. It offers blog templates, landing pages, home value calculators, listing marketing and so much more.
Also, if you don’t want to fiddle with all the set up and design, you can call my brothers over at Ballen Brands and they can quote you on a new website with hosting, design, and plugin integration as well as a long-term plan for maintenance and content.
Quick Table of Contents
Quick-Step by Step List
- Register a Domain
- Choose a Host
- Set up WordPress
- Optimize your Settings
- Add your Theme
- Add your Plugins
- Customize your Theme and Widgets
- Add your First Category
- Begin Posting
Keep it short and simple. Don’t obsess with keywords, they don’t boost your rankings anymore.
If you want to use your name for branding in the domain, it’s fine if it’s short and easy to spell and remember.
Make sure your domain can grow with you.
Domains can be moved, so don’t panic about where you register it.
There are many places you can choose to register a domain. The domain is your .com, the URL, the website address. While it may be cheaper here or there, many people like to manage their domains all in once place or register wherever they set up their WordPress website and hosting.
For example, if you are going to “do it yourself”, you can do it all in one place here:
You’ll get your WordPress “package” generally through your web host. Your host is VERY important as it’s what makes your website LIVE. If your host server goes down, so does your website.
If your host is slow, so is your website. Your host will also often control what plugins you can use or not if you are using their website platform.
Many will start with Godaddy because it’s cheap but wind up moving to a new host later. WordPress is a database that can be backed up. Many times your WordPress website can be moved then to another host. If you are leasing your website however, from a “WordPress Developer or Designer”, they may not give you this option.
Make sure it’s YOUR website. You own the domain and the database and can move at will!
For Example, my website BallenVegas.com has a domain that is registered at GoDaddy. My website is hosted was built by Ballen Brands and I own it. It’s hosted on Flywheel. I own the website and can back it up and move it to another host at a later date if I want to.
- Wealthy Affiliate’s Site Rubix [Try it Free]
- Go Daddy
- WP Engine
- Flywheel (Has a WordPress Set-Up but you must register the domain somewhere else)
A theme is mostly about the design of your website. If you want your website to look different, you install a theme. You still have to follow a guide to set up the theme.
You’ll be offered free themes with most hosting plans when you set up WordPress. Premium themes are available and are generally not very expensive. Wealthy Affiliate’s Site Rubix has hundreds of themes.
Some themes act as “child and parent”. The parent is some sort of framework that is used frequently and then the various themes change up some of the elements. Genesis is a very popular framework with many child frames. Most often, you can buy these together as a bundle without paying extra.
You must install the framework first and then the theme for it to work.
Some Popular Themes are:
- Genesis + Studiopress [You can get this all at once with your WordPress Set up and Hosting as well]
- Elegant Themes
- Theme Forest
- Astra WordPress Theme
- Theme Isle
Plugins add functionality to your website. They can also kill your site speed, so check before and after you install a plugin. The more you add the more likely it is that your website will be slow.
Sometimes plugins can conflict with each other. If your website crashes, that’s quite likely the program. You would need to roll your website back to a previous date or have your host or developer help you.
Just make sure if you are installing a plugin that it says it’s supported and there are many downloads. Google the name to check if there have been any issues.
Free and low-cost plugins are often vulnerable to hackers.
Keep your themes and plugins updated regularly and use a security plugin. Here are some popular plugins used.
- Security: WordFence or All in One WP Security and Firewall
- SEO: All in One SEO or Yoast
- Spam Prevention: Akismet
- Forms: Ninja Forms
- Images: Ewww Image Optimizer
- Header Footer Code Manager
- Thirsty Affiliates Automatic Linking
- WP Meta and Date Remover
- Table of Contents Plus
- How To Delete a Site Rubix Website in Wealthy Affiliate
- Beginners Guide To WordPress
- Niche Website Ideas
- Best WordPress Plugins
- How To Build Your Own Website
- WordPress Themes
- WordPress Hosts
- Laying Out The Content Strategy On Our New Niche Website or Blog
- 7 Mistakes to Avoid When Registering a Domain Name for Your Website
- How to Choose a Niche For Your Blog
- The Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Benefits of WordPress
- $4k Per Month from a Blog in 1 Year! How Did They Do It?
- How To Create A New Post on WordPress
- What Is A Plugin?
- How To Find A Niche For Your Website
My Favorite Tools
- SEMrush for ranking a website
- tubebuddy for Youtube Channel Optimization
- Spyfu for quick easy Keyword and Topic Research
- Grammarly for spell check for blogging
- Get Response for Email Lists, Funnels, and Marketing Automation
- Ballen Brands for Google Ads, Facebook Ads, and Websites
- Vulcan 7 for Prospecting
- Crowd Content for Blog Writers
- Screenflow for Video Tutorials
- Buzzsprout for Podcasting
- 99 Designs for Logos
- Clicky for Website Analytics
- Fiverr for quick designers and subcontracted administrative services
- Flywheel, Bluehost, or WP engine for Webhosting
- Studiopress for WordPress Themes
- Godaddy for Registering Domain Names
- Wealthy Affiliate for learning how to add affiliate marketing to your real estate business
- Teachable to build an online operations manual our course
- Mobile Monkey for Chat Bots
- Send Out Cards for cultivating your sphere of influence
- Tailwind for Pinterest and Instagram
- Right Message for adding audience segmented offers on your website